NSW Education Minister Adrian Piccoli says a protest in Sydney over education cuts will do nothing to change the government's mind.
Premier Barry O'Farrell is slashing the state's education spending by $1.7 billion, impacting on schools, public and private, as well as TAFEs.
The government has remained firm since it made the announcement in September, despite criticism from teachers and the risk of industrial action."Of course we have heard the message," Mr Piccoli told reporters in Sydney on Sunday.
"We are in difficult budget times and I think the responsible thing to do is to take measures in the back office, in the bureaucracy, to make sure we've got those dollars to invest in the front line," he said.
"This year we've got more than 500 more teachers than we had last year."
Mr Piccoli said reports of an extra billion dollars in the NSW budget because of accounting errors were inaccurate and the restructure within the education department was already underway.
"There are lots of elements to it. Most of them have begun, some of them have indeed finished, but it is a big process...
"We have made no secret that we are deleting positions from the bureaucracy...
"The government has made it pretty clear what it needs to do, we won't be changing the decision that we have made."
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-government-remains-firm-on-education-cuts-20121118-29jwc.html#ixzz2CZ7QicFR
Meanwhile at the coal face:
Local Member and Minister for Education, Adrian Piccoli today announced that Junee High School has been granted funding to record and document the oral history of local veterans.
Mr Piccoli said that the grant was part of the Youth Category of the Anzac Community Grants Program.
"These recordings will be lodged with the State Library and curriculum support websites and will be a real help in educating school children and young people in general about the Anzac legacy," Mr Piccoli said.
Mr Piccoli said that Junee High was one of 16 successful applications by schools, which is something to be very proud of.
"I congratulate the school community on the effort they have made to prepare an application for this grant funding.
Environment Trust Grants for Murrumbidgee ElectorateMember for Murrumbidgee Adrian Piccoli congratulates Hanwood Public School and St Patrick's Catholic Primary School which have both been awarded Food Gardens in Schools grants totalling $7,000 from the NSW Government's Environmental Trust.
The NSW Environmental Trust is an independent statutory body established by the NSW government to fund a broad range of organisations to undertake projects that enhance the environment of NSW."Hanwood Public School will receive a grant of $3,500 to expand the existing school garden by at least double, sell the produce to the local community and then use market garden profits to continue to improve the school's garden," Mr Piccoli said.
"St Patrick's Catholic Primary School will receive a Food Gardens in Schools grant of $3,500 to establish and run a food garden built from recycled materials and planted with heirloom varieties that represent students' varied cultural backgrounds". "These two Schools are only two of 25 schools across NSW to receive a Food Gardens in schools grant, which is an excellent, practical learning experience for the school's students, teaching them about sustainable horticultural practices and encouraging healthy eating habits at the same time," Mr Piccoli said. "This is an excellent outcome for both of these schools and I congratulate the teachers and students for achieving such a great result for these highly sought after grants." Minister for the Environment, Robyn Parker, said: "The NSW Government has committed more than $2 million to this round of environmental trust grants and the benefit this investment will bring will be many times greater."
"It is great to see both of these schools taking such an active role in environmental education and undertaking projects that will provide a great learning effect," Mr Piccoli concluded.
ENDS Media Contact: Murrumbidgee Electorate Office 6962 6644
AND IN THE TRENCHES:
Wednesday 17 October 2012
CHILDREN TAUGHT TO KEEP ANZAC SPIRIT ALIVE
Special projects funded by the NSW Government to help school children and young people learn about the Anzac legacy, were today announced by Minister for Citizenship and Communities Victor Dominello.
Mr Dominello said 16 schools and not-for-profit organisations will share in more than $60,000 in the first round of youth grants as part of the Anzac Community Grants program.
“It is vital that our younger generations understand and honour the enormous sacrifices that Australian soldiers have made throughout our nation’s history,” he said.
“This funding enables schools and other organisations to engage children in the Anzac legacy, with a particular focus on using web and multimedia technologies to share old stories with a modern audience.
NOTE: ALL THE RECIPIENTS APPEAR TO BE IN THE NATIONALS ELECTORATE...